Friday, October 13, 2017

First Snow

We had our first snowfall of the winter season earlier this week (it was gone the same evening) and it was magical to see Blythe really enjoy snow for the first time.  We missed winter last year and the year prior she was a little too young to really enjoy it although we certainly subjected her to sledding and playing around in it.  Seeing her so excited to play in the snow, to eat it, to scoop it up into bowls, etc. is making me look forward to winter this year.  Fingers crossed for some big snowfalls that allow us to do all the fun snow activities.

Cheesy snow face!
B is absolutely loving school and really seems to be thriving.  She is fully potty trained at school (I wish I could say the same for home - we are still scarred from our first attempt and thus have been putting it off), talks about how much she enjoys her teachers and classmates, and regularly says she isn't ready to leave when we arrive to pick her up at the end of the day.  Neither one of us is working yet, so we've been enjoying leisurely mornings at home where we make breakfast together, play for a bit, and slowly make our way to school, often by bike if the weather is nice.  

I'm starting a new job on the 30th!  I've made a tough decision to return to a law firm, but it's a completely different model and one that I hope will be the perfect fit for me. It's a boutique corporate firm (I am a transactional / corporate lawyer) with only 3 other attorneys that focuses on start-up and small company work.  The best part is that there is no pressure to bill a certain amount.  I told the head of the firm that I wanted to work 25 hours a week (of billable time) and that my ideal scheduled would be 1-2 days / week at home and on the days I'm at the office, I'd be there from 9:30 to 3:45.  He said that was fine.  I felt I couldn't say "no" to the opportunity.  After being in-house, I'm anxious about returning to law firm life, but flexibility is my priority right now so I'm going with it.

And we had an ultrasound last week and the baby was measuring 11 weeks and 3 days and looking good.  We have our 12-week ultrasound next Tuesday at the perinatologist's office.  I'm definitely nervous - I'll also have the MaterniT21 test done.  I'm still experiencing disbelief that this pregnancy might actually be real and might actually turn out well.  I have told almost no one.   That said, I'm definitely looking rounder in the belly area and I won't get away with silence on the topic much longer.  And no, I didn't tell my future employer.  I'm not ready and, legally, I don't have to.  I wish I felt comfortable enough to do so, but I don't.

R is away this weekend, so B and I are having a ladies weekend full of fall activities, and I'm so excited to pick pumpkins and generally just spend time with her without any obligations or scheduled activities.

11 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congratulations on the new job and positive scan! So glad things are going well. I am going to send AJ to daycare without diapers next week. We are opposite to you: potty trained at home but not at daycare: or at least,not sure she is. I think she’ll be fine. Best of luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how did it go? B woke up yesterday and refused to wear a pull-up so we went went it and she had no accidents all day. Apparently her parents are huge chickens and she had to potty train herself. Oops. Looking forward to the AJ update!

      Delete
    2. AJ had no accidents the first day and 2 the second. I think she’s doing well. I expected some accidents as she figures out not to pee herself. I hoped to be mostly done by 3rd birthday so we are on track. She’s not potty trained while sleeping though. Waking up at night to change her sheets is really unappealing at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Just. Came to this space to check on you and so glad to hear of positives updates so far. So glad things are still going well with this pregnancy. I need to find out how I can sign up for email alerts when you post! Sooo jealous of that work arrangement- my job is 40 hours week with a 35 minute commute or nothing and pays crap. Been looking around too but higher education is just a low paying fueled. We are doing potty training boot camp with Josie this weekend- wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man - how did it go with Josie? R and I definitely were much more worried about it and B just sort of seems to be doing it for us.

      The combination of a typical work week schedule and the long commute is tough. I really wish there were more flexible options out there (for everyone) and of course that higher education was a better-paid field. It is so ironic to me that we all espouse to value education so much but don't pay teachers well (my Dad was a teacher). Anyway.

      Delete
  3. Been thinking about you lots and glad to hear the positive pregnancy update. Will continue to send good thoughts your way. Good luck with your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! Fingers (and legs) crossed here that all continues to go well.

      Delete
  4. New job sounds like a great opportunity ! Congrats. Your snow bunny is too cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Why am I so nervous? I worry that I've forgotten how to be a lawyer, which is ridiculous.

      Delete
  5. Hope you had a wonderful ladies weekend with B. And, snow already?! Yikes! I'm hoping it holds off as long as possible in the New England region.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a random day of snow and another today. It has mostly been warm, but it did remind me of what is to come after we skipped winter last year. Brutal!

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS